Sunday, March 29, 2009

Coffee Huts

So I thought I would interrupt my second reading of "Twilight", yes I have been bitten by this particular bug as well; everyone does love a good love story, to illuminate everyone as to one particular "Americanism" of my day today.

Something very American (I swear there are none of these in Europe), Pacific Northwesterny and perhaps even more specifically, very Washingtonian, are the Coffee huts. They are usually rooms no larger than 6ft x 10 ft (if they are lucky) and decorated in an assorted variety such as one being a Cowboy Hat, or a Cow, or even just a log cabinesque type box. From 5a.m. til 4p.m. ish mostly, you can drive thru by the huts and get coffees & teas in all their various forms, from expresso to macchiato to Chai, and usually snacks, because God forbid anyone should actually have to park their car, get out and move their bodies into an actual store area. This is America after all and convenience is the main driver of life over here.

In any case, driving across town to participate in Angus's friend, Preston's first communion this morning, and realizing we were still a bit early, we headed north 40-50 blocks and finally spied just such a hut. Dressed like a cow. Literally. See photo attached. Turning quickly left (over the double cross lines which everyone here still tries to tell me is illegal - don't they realize it's only illegal when the siren starts up immediately thereafter?) I pulled in and noticed quite large and rather striking words in front of me.

SEXY very large and in red rhinestones.

My first clue this hut was perhaps a bit different than the usual. Guy in pick-up in front of me and big shock...guy in Trailblazer in front of him. Seeing that Angus was busy with his Nintendo DS and me truly relishing the thought of a double shot latte with a splash of peppermint on this fine Sunday at 9.30 a.m., I thought, "he'll never notice".

Notice what, you may ask. Well, I was not really sure and it wasn't really bad. I am far from a prude so when I pulled up I was expecting Vegas tassles and a thong. What I got was a rather cute and clean looking co-ed type with a short bob dressed in a black boy's underwear short (yes with SEXY in rhinestones on her behind...) and a bra of some sort and rather small breasts barely covered by a short midrif top. Of course, true Cancer (mother to the world) that I am, I took one look after hearing her say hello and said, "Aren't you cold?". That's me, more concerned with her health than her nakedness. She said it was rather refreshing but she was having an allergy headache and we were off! We got so cozy after 5 minutes, she didn't even charge me for Angus's hot cocoa. I tipped her well. After all, we are in America. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment