Saturday, April 25, 2009

Canada, Oh Canada

As you know, I'm not usually at a loss for words. However, today I am at a loss as to what to talk about. Not that there isn't an overabundance of subject material, it's just that. There IS an overabundance of subject material. Do I talk about how angry everyone seems to be getting? From the homeless people standing at almost every corner with a stoplight in Seattle to the housewives shopping at Safeway trying to cram the day's shopping in and get the closest parking place, to the man standing at US Healthworks spewing forth his interpretation and disgust at the fact that his insurance company is charged double what people without insurance are charged. (Not quite true, by the way, it was only a weekly promotion but he was so far gone and so certain of his conviction and interpretation of the brochure, there was no turning back). I could talk about this but you and I know that this is an endless and never-ending discussion that, well, I just don't feel like getting into today, if that's okay with you.

I could also talk about the disgusting display of chauvinistic enthusiasm which the coach and his 4 assistants (all fathers of budding Roberto Clemente's) put the rest of us through 2x a week on the little league baseball field here in Seattle. My son plays and so far enjoys it, but I am convinced that is only because I am there to shout out, do you best sweetheart, it's just a game and just swing Angus, it's almost over and we'll get ice cream in a few minutes! The looks and stares I get from the Britney Spears parent wannabe's would definitely make more than a few people cringe in terror, but no, I am thankfully made of sterner stuff. I just smile back, look as dazed as possible, open my eyes a little larger, look them straight in the eyes and say, What? as innocently as Sister Maria in the Sound of Music. Pure disgust in their eyes but laughter and amusement in mine. The day I let any of my children think that sports is more than an activity to enjoy and help them keep fit...Of course, if one of them showed a marked proclivity for baseball, tennis, golf, ping pong, whatever, I would encourage them and do everything necessary to see their dream through to fruition. So far nothing, however, and I am not pushy. Not very. Really. Alright, at least in this aspect of my life.

What I will talk about is our trip to Vancouver. We have started to compile a list of things we want to do before we leave Seattle. Why we are leaving Seattle will have to wait just a few more days til the next blog - gives you a reason to come back!) Whale watching, travel to the Olympic Peninsula, take a Ducks tour of Seattle, visit the Burke museum and much more are on the list. For me, Vancouver was #1. I have always wanted to visit the Capilano Suspension Bridge; it's on my list of things to do before I croak. Cross that one off, then. I booked a wonderful hotel, the Sutton Place with a 2 bedroom suite, pool, steam room, and the cast of Twilight staying. What more can you ask for? The hotel and staff were superb. As soon as we arrived in Vancouver, we got the bikes off the car and headed off to Stanley Park, a beautiful park encompassing the entire Western edge of downtown. We rode over the whole seawall and had a lovely few hours.

After a quick swim and steam, we walked over to the one Belgian restaurant I could find in an area called Gastown. It's called Chambar and is simply the best restaurant not only in Vancouver, but most probably in North America. Great staff, we spoke with almost all of them I think, and superb food, better than in Belgium...well, almost. The owner, chef, Nico is Belgian so that helps. We had the most wonderful mussels and frites, plus a lucious cheese board and a stiff Armagnac, pricy but lovely. Did I mention the beer? Oh, god, the taste of the Echte Kriek's I downed that night. The best part of all, the boys were with us and loving it all as well. It's a hip & trendy place, now, and they didn't seem too responsive to us at first when they saw the kids, but it was early and we were European (or in my case European enough!) & have something they all didn't, (besides Lyon, the waiter from France that was ready to move on...) and that was the absolute certainty that we should be there, as gastronomes if nothing else. I like to think we've now paved the road for other families to come, sit and relax for by the time we left, we were on a first name basis with everyone, I had exchanged cards and drinks with the two fabulous female lawyers sitting next to us, Grace and Marina a special hello to both of you!!! if only the US lawyers were as open and lovely as you both this country might have a fighting chance, and we had to take a cab home because the armagnac had done it's work and walking was no longer an option...for me.

The next day was a shopping day. Here's comes a US/Canada comparison. Saw a gorgeous dress in the window on Granville Island. Walked in and saw Dries van Noten labels. Uh Oh. I have shopped actually, okay once, in the Drie van Noten flagship store in Antwerp and unfortunately know that he is not really in my price bracket anymore, okay, never was. Therefore the dress being marked $2300 was not really a big surprise for me. Standing in my black levi cords, North Face fleece jacket and new pink North Face wooly hat (I love this hat...see photo of me in it at Capilano here to the right!), I stood there thinking, I'm really glad the boys stayed outside and how do I get out of here nonchalantly looking casual but cool? No need to worry actually, because I was pretty much alone in the store and when I just mentioned to the saleswoman that the dress was a little risque for work (the design was tiny red legs attached to a lampshade!) as well as pricey, she actually agreed and understood. Uh, the european feel...alive in Canada. No snotty snooty salespeople here. Normal. Period. Did I mention she was also a good 50lbs. over her BMI? but still chique. Not many who can swing that. If I tried chatting like that in LA or NY looking like I did, I know I would have had 3 bouncers politely and silently tip me back outside of the store or would have been stared at by bulemic 90 lb. ghosts to the point of turning myself around and running for the doors. I think everyone should travel yearly to Canada, just to be treated like the star you are, without bells or ruffles. Excellent.

Anyway, walking home from the aquabus, whom do we walk by but Mr. Robert Pattinson, latest heartthrob from the movie Twilight, himself, racing down the street with a friend, laughing along the way. We know because Liam & I had to look twice, we were a bit shocked. He was superrrr skinny and all hunched over as if he was hoping, if I don't make eye contact, I should get to my destination without being approached. I felt a bit sorry for him and couldn't bring myself to ask him to sign the new Twilight dvd I had just purchased, burning a whole in my bag as I stared. I am waayyy too nice, I know, but all I could think of was calling his mother and asking her to come out and take care of him! He didn't look at all well, but maybe he was just stoned....and skinny. That much was certain. Starbucks does still serve muffins at least, right?

We had Subway sandwiches and biked to the beach to enjoy the 2 hours of Sun that had finally descended upon Vancouver. We made it the next day to Capilano and managed the rest of the day with poor Angus catching a virus but being a trooper and Jeroen catching it the next and again, being quite the trooper. Not quite like the Washington State Trooper who pulled up behind us after we reentered the U.S., when I had to pull over to let Jeroen chuck up on the side of the road. That's illegal in Washington, (not throwing up but stopping on the side of the highway!) but when I explained it nicely to the officer and he saw that Jeroen is not your typical frat boy or deviant from society, he simply smiled and said he'd stay with us til we were on our way. Now that's a normal reaction I hadn't prepared for. Maybe there's hope for this country yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Toby nice Blog! How was the suspencion bridge? I totally agree with your piece that you wrote about Angus. Sports are just for fun!

    Astrid

    ReplyDelete