Saturday, April 4, 2009

Freedom of Conscience




One of the sentiments I miss most after living in Europe for so long, is the normalcy that the general public have over simple facts of life. The acceptance that they have for situations; such as having quiet dignity when someone they love gets very sick, working with their ex-partner(s) when it comes to child custody and understanding that people are only human and mistakes will be made, such a serving hot coffee in a drive-thru and NOT allowing damages to be awarded for ridiculous amounts of money.

It is still very distressing to me that so many Americans look to blame others for their own lack of self-discipline. God forbid we should accept responsibility for anything. No, it cannot be us, it must be them. Them, who? Well, that doesn't seem to really matter and if 'them' have some money in the bargain, then look out, it's definitely their fault. I remember talking to one of my favourite people in the world about this when I first arrived and we ended up agreeing to disagree. She's a lawyer, so prejudiced anyway, and had just taken on a case where a woman sprained her arm or something equally stupid by trying to reach up too high at a Walmart's to retrieve something she wanted to buy.

Was there a warning sign there to ask someone for help? Yes, there was but since it was on the higher row and this woman was I suppose, unusually small, well, that was her case. The sign should have been lower. My friend was actually shocked that Walmart refused to make a deal and even though I am not on friendly terms with Walmart, I was actually pleased that they were willing to go to court over this. What jury of normal people would allow this type of stupid behavior to be rewarded? Are accidents not allowed to happen in the US? Funny, they happen everywhere else.

This brings me back to my point. The Freedom of Conscience Act is very simple. It says:
...it is the purpose of this act to prohibit all forms of discrimination, disqualification, coercion, disability, or liability upon such health care providers, institutions, and payers that decline to perform any health care service that violates their conscience.
Of course the catholics etc...are up in arms because any catholic hospital will no longer be able to deny birth control (of any type, pre or after) if they take federal funds!!!!! That's the key.
No one is saying that you violate the US constitution by demanding the hospitals go against their conscience. They're saying that if you do so, you will no longer get money from the Federal pot!!

Here here. As a contract manager, I am always hearing here in America, at my job, our intent was...we meant...etc. This is something I never once had to do in Europe and boy do I miss that.
I spend 90% of my time reiterating the contract(s). What a bore, but let me expand on this since I am a tiny bit of an expert now. The intent of the forefathers, Jefferson, Madison, Washington etc... was to keep church and state separate. Period. This act validates that premise in every way.

We need to get back to the reality of life; it is tough. It is yours to make of it what you will. So get out there and do something today that will make you feel good about yourself at the end of the day... and repeat daily as needed. Maybe if we do this, we'll be able to grab some of that joie de vivre that a lot of Europeans have found for themselves. That would be a great thing, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment