Monday, June 22, 2009

The best laid plans of mice and me...

Well, just sit right back and you'll hear a tale. A tale of a faithful trip. That started in Seattletown and ended in Texas.

A few months ago I promised you pages regarding the differences separating Europe from the United States of America. Well, nothing can be more different than the sheer vastness of this country. The distance that we traveled, 2300 miles or 3700 kilometers for my European friends, in a mere 8 days, raises eyebrows but not here. For a land where more than 70% of all gainfully employed individuals still have and/or take less than 2 weeks vacation per year, this is normal. For us, it was tiring at best, necessary at worst. I will not turn this into a travelguide...boring!...but will try to highlight here some of the other differences we came upon on the road. Most of California is home to nothing but desert, prisons, and agriculture. It would be Spain if there was any culture, but there isn't. Los Angeles continues to be an over-exhorbitant pool of humanity, but since my last visit in 1997, I am pleased to report that the 'cess' in front of the 'pool' may now be left off. It's still random and a place without a true identity, but it's not greasy anymore, at least not to me. I could never live there, but after this trip, I kind of understand why some do. Kind of. Especially since I have now discovered family there. First cousins. Chad & Dean. Sons of Al & Barbara Restum; Al being the brother of my biological father, Willie Restum, whom I never met. I never regretted that decision but since meeting Al in 2006 in D.C., have wanted very much to meet my cousins. I don't have any on my mothers side. 2nd cousins, yes, but not first. Chad & Dean don't have any other firsts but me either. It was an intense and altogether monumental occasion for me. I hope the start of a wonderful relationship with them and their families, whom I also felt immediately at home with (thank you Justine & Alexis!!!) We even joked about being jarabs (jewish arabs) and I learned why I have been addicted to Hummus since the age of 10. It's in the blood.

Legoland, Carlsbad, California is run with exactly the same amount of nonchalance that I expect from Legoland, Denmark. That was surprising. The service was there, but it was late or not in a hurry. Could be the Hispanic influence here, which brings up another point. God bless the Hispanics. When I look at the western European people en masse here in America, I can only be thankful that the immense blending of Hispanic blood with the Anglo-saxon blood here will save humanity as we know it. The people in San Diego are Hisposaxon, I suppose. They are healthy, multi-lingual, attractive and interesting. Growing up in Las Vegas in the 70's, I still remember being taught that a good American asked any Mexican looking individual to show their green card. I am not making this up. Probably the reason I became a Republican at 18, after such an indoctrination, who can blame me? It was my generation's McCarthyism.

What we learned on this trip and here in Houston as well, is that we all need to be thankful for the mixing of the cultures. I truly believe that it will be the saving grace of this country and will hopefully obliterate the intolerant fundamentalist idiotic right that has taken over the Republican party once and for all. At least, I'm going to throw myself on this bandwagon and carry the tune as loudly and as far as I can. America is now more than ever a true melting pot and we are liking it. For the first time in years, this trip has opened my eyes to an America I thought long dead. One where people talk to each other on the streets about everything. Where conversation lives between old and young on corners everywhere while waiting for lights or in the line at the supermarket. I saw two perfectly coifed larger black women today with ice creams, and we joked for a few minutes about it as if we had been best friends forever. I love that. It makes me feel alive and I love sharing that feeling. I stood in line at Legoland and met a wonderful woman who after 10 minutes of talking, found out she lived 20 minutes from our new home in Texas and we exchanged cards. I will definitely be calling them. I have already been shown my realtor's new grandbaby's pictures and purchased 3 bouquets of flowers for those at work whom I feel have gone above and beyond the standard procedure for helping out a new hire. This openness of communication, I have always missed in Holland. Many times I have tried to start conversations, all over, only to be politely but decisively rebuffed. The dutch do not get it. The English, neither. Belgiums and south, yes, but the Americans, definitely, especially in the South. Oh, glory be, that's where we are. Maybe this will all turn out well, after all?

Before I go, I should get factual about something. The last blog was all about our new house. Well, scratch it all. Short but sweet, the story is as follows. The lenders in the US will indeed loan only the asking price/appraisal value of the house, so since that house needed new flooring and a pool still, I found another house that had both already done. Yes, pricier by $50K but no problem for the lender. I saw the house the day I flew back to Seattle and my awesome Realtor had the contract ready and waiting. House visit: 12p.m.. Contract signed: 1p.m.. Trip to Airport 3p.m.. Contract signed by Seller: 4p.m.. Cancellation contract signed and faxed to first house seller 5p.m.. Airplane boarded to Seattle 6p.m. It was a crazy day. Suffice it to say, we have signed for a gorgeous house, with pool and wood floors in my first choice neighbourhood. What more can I ask? Instead of pictures, I have included the link for the virtual tour. Enjoy and book your flight. We're hoping to be in there by the end of July...

http://search.har.com/engine/harvirtualtour.cfm?mlnum=44981844&leadid=6

No comments:

Post a Comment