Saturday, June 6, 2009

First week in Houston

June 6, 2009. One week later. The time flew by, literally. I know I promised in the beginning that this journal of mine would be a comparison between America and Europe. I think we need to add Texas. It will now be a comparison between America, Europe, & Texas. I have come to learn in just the short time I have been here, that Texas is indeed, not quite America. Definitely not Europe. Wait, stop. Before this all takes on a cynical or even negative vibe, let me end it. I have been thusfar, extremely & happily surprised by Texas, or at least Katy in general. I should say Houston, but since I have been existing on the edges of the city and mainly circling the Katy suburb in my efforts to find a house for the last week, while full-time working of course, I do not yet dare say anything about Houston. That will come next.

Katy, however, is our suburb of choice. 10 miles from work. 10 miles from the biggest park I have seen in quite some time, the George HW Bush State Park, and my family's future home. Yes, as many of you are now aware, I am manic in my pursuit of anything. Once bitten, never shy. Oh no, all the more reason to get back on that horse and FLY! Nothing gets me going more than a challenge. Except perhaps 2 or 3 challenges all at the same time. Try to talk to me then! Oh, right, most of you have, sorry about those times, truly. After one week here, and looking at over 17 houses in 5 days, including 2 bids, I have a house. My family will NOT be sleeping under the bridge or panhandling along the freeway. This has concerned me, needless to say, to the point of only getting about 4 hours of sleep a night. By Thursday, I looked hellish, to say the least. Last night, however, I slept like a rose, for 8 hours straight. It was glorious.

Anyway, here's my new home. As long as the loan closes within the next 3 weeks, it will be ours by July 15th.

It has 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and a ginormous backyard. It's on a cul-de-sac and every other house has children. All this for 190K euro. What a life. It does not yet have a pool, but plenty of room to build our own. It needs some loving on the inside, all new flooring; must get rid of that beautiful light blue carpet circa 1993 that's begging to be put out of it's misery and we get a new fridge. Not bad. Plenty of room for all of you to come visit. What's that? You won't come to the hottest place on earth if there's no pool. Well, what if I were to tell you that we have 8 community pools. That's right, 8. Including this beach pool which the powers of Cinco Ranch (our development area) deigned to make in order to ensure that we have everything we ever wanted, including a beach...in the middle of a lake. Whatever. Now that's America Goddamn it. A house like this in Holland would cost 4 times as much and forget the pools. Do they have outside pools still? There is one in Ijmuiden, so I guess they are around. I have to say I am more amused by it than anything else, but I will be utilizing the 'Beach' Pool, so I guess I support it as well, right? Anywho...no excuses, you're all coming to visit. End of discussion. Start booking the flights. It's 95/33 degrees here everyday, so what more incentive do you want?

Work has been great so far, not that I've done much, but what a training! My new colleagues are wonderful and very professional. They all keep saying that I am fitting in just fine, and I must admit I didn't expect anything less, really. Thank god I really like people, right? Wait a second...Uhhhhh, sorry about that, just had to scratch one of the 4 new bug bites I received today on my feet. They love my feet and legs. Crazy. I cannot wait until my blood desugarizes enough so that they go somewhere else. Where was I, oh yes, work. There is a bit of the US vs them (UK) mentality going on and hopefully as a lost american european, I will be able to soothe the relationship somewhat. Wednesday I leave to go back to Seattle and get the boys. I have missed them but definitely did the right thing in coming down here the first 2 weeks alone. I would never have been able to achieve as much as I have with them here too.

Looking forward to the trip very much. Hopefully, I will have time to update along the road. Jeroen actually mentioned. trying to Twitter. Boy, is that lost on me. I'm on it, but I have yet to use it. Seems so superfluous and silly, really.

Oh, before I go, let me share the best part of my week. I walked over to the beautiful new fitness center my work sponsors and the girl (not above 25) looked at me when I asked for information, and said, well you won't need a physical assessment since you're obviously not over 40....I am still smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment